Software developer - Fullstack Engineer
Canada / Remote
We're looking for a Fullstack Engineer to join our team at Spatial Tech and play a key role in developing our Community Analytics (CA) product. In this position, you'll have the opportunity to work closely with the team’s tech lead, the product manager (PM) and leaders across the company to create our newest SaaS community engagement product and leverage our existing enterprise software. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a dynamic team and have a real impact on the development of our newest product.
What you will do
In early 2022, Spatial Media spun out its software products and associated teams into Spatial Tech. Spatial Tech’s mission is to take great enterprise software and scale its impact as a SaaS product offering.
As a Fullstack Engineer, you'll be responsible with the team for implementing the product vision and codebase as we expand our SaaS offerings. We value good ideas from anyone and encourage you to make technical decisions that maximize value for our customers. Your role will focus on building features, improving the user experience, and ensuring that our product is scalable and reliable.
You are an experienced software engineer with proven SaaS delivery experience who brings ownership, transparency, and accountability to their work. You are both pragmatic and data-driven, able to prioritise product features and technical capabilities to make the product a success.
You strongly believe in the power of iteration to deliver software that solves real customers’ problems and jobs to be done. You are a team player that loves helping others grow and you are very open to learning new things. You communicate clearly using collaboration and software development tools to support a healthy remote culture across time zones.
Spatial Tech (ST) is a digital development company owned by Spatial Media; an interactive visual communications company based in Australia. As the leading provider in visualization services to infrastructure, renewable energy, mining, and airports in Australia, SM expanded to Canada in 2020 to bring our cutting-edge engagement products and services to a new market.
How we work
ST works exclusively remotely. The leadership team of Spatial Tech is split between Australia and Canada. We employ the best people regardless of location and provide them with the tools to collaborate across the organisation. ST has biannual conferences to pull people together and celebrate our successes and learn from each other.
Our corporate structure is flat, and we encourage all staff to work how best suits their personal needs while meeting company objectives. If you want to be close to the decision-makers with the freedom to explore and experiment, we need to talk.
Product development and delivery
- Deeply care about solving customer problems and delivering business value
- Be involved in discovery and delivery phases contributing to the technical aspects of architecture, requirements, iterating in small deliverable increments.
- Be part of the day-to-day development of our product in our codebases, in various areas of expertise (backend, frontend, devops, ...)
- Contribute to the scalability, security, and maintainability of the platform
- Drive the successful delivery of small iterations of software releases through CI/CD and continuous feedback from tests to better team practices
- Collaborate closely with other resources inside and outside the Product Development team. - With the tech lead and the team, participate as needed in architecture sessions, daily stand-ups and demos for development, QA, and release of products.
- Support and appropriately escalate delivery impediments, risks, issues, and changes associated with the product development initiatives.
- Iterate in quick cycles based on data-driven decisions.
- Ensure the ongoing stability and reliability of the product in production by monitoring and responding to incidents as they arise.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or comparable industry experience
- 5+ years of software development experience.
- Previous experience in a product company or start-up in a similar role
- Ability to learn quickly, change directions, and navigate complex decision-making in a dynamic, fast-moving environment.
- Hands-on experience with backend PHP and JS frameworks (Laravel, Node.js, ...) and frontend frameworks (Vue.js, Nuxt.js, ...)
- Experienced with best practices of team software development (git branching, PRs, code review, automated linting and testing, TDD/BDD,...)
- Experience with DevOps tooling (CI/CD, configuration management, package managers,...) AWS infrastructure and virtualization (Docker,...)
- Knowledge of web application security best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to use both qualitative & quantitative data to inform decisions.
- Effective use of collaboration and software development tools to support communication, transparency and teamwork.
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement, and a desire to help everyone be better.
- This role is full-time, with salary depending on experience and skill set. - Extended Health and Dental insurance plan
- All Business equipment as needed
- Open paid leave program
Spatial Tech is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
We appreciate everyone who takes an interest in roles with Spatial Tech however we will only be contacting people who are successful in gaining an interview for the position.
Our core beliefs
Remote work FTW
You know when and where you work best — we won’t prescribe that to you. Besides, we don’t have an office!
We don’t sit still and are always looking for an opportunity to deliver the best outcomes.
Anti-corporate by design
If you’re looking for a highly structured corporate office environment, we’re not for you.
People over product
We know it’s the talent and effort of our people who drive our success and reputation, so you’re our number one.
We’re shaping the future
Our tools and outputs help give the community a voice on what’s next, and we think that’s pretty neat.
Just some of the perks
RDOs, flexible leave and bonuses
Enjoy quarterly RDOs, flexible leave policies, and an annual bonus pool for all of our crew.
We’ll fly you in twice a year to meet up with your co-workers, discuss some work, but also have some fun!
No commuting to work
Don’t waste two hours a day stuck in traffic when you could rock your PJs at home all day instead.
Equipment and knowledge provided
We’ll provide you with the hardware and software you need to get the job done, including upskill training.
For our Canadian friends, we provide generous healthcare coverage for you and your family.
And what about you?
We’re looking for people who have a similar mindset to us, but who are also willing to challenge us to push further or in different directions. In our experience, that means you have these qualities:
You want to step up to the next challenge and help grow the team, the product and the success of the company.
We’re on this journey together, and you are passionate about raising your own bar, but also our collective bar, too.